View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008, 07:35 PM
bryris
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2008
Position: Hotel
Default It is official - CPA or bust!

I submitted my resignation from my regional airline job yesterday. I've been sitting on the fence about whether I want to do this job for nearly as long as I've been doing it. I've enjoyed the positives very much (and there are many) and have loathed the negatives (there are also many).

With hiring all but ceased for the next 3-4 years, little to no movement, continued low pay, more and more contract negotiation stalling, domicile transfer to a more difficult airport (commuting), pending furlough notice, I have decided at a minimum that this industry isn't the place for me for the next 2-3 years. Its not so much a decision about whether I want to be a career pilot or not, but rather when sinking, as I am now, what is the best use of my time. I can continue to sit right seat as I have been, on reserve, or at least VERY junior, minimum days off, junior assignments, etc. Or I can quit, be at home, not commute anymore, and work on something that has incredible marketability and is largely recession proof.

I have successfully registered for the first set of classes required to prepare myself to sit for the CPA exam in late 2009 or early 2010. Having that credential in my cap can do nothing but open slews of doors for me, in aviation (especially the business side), or otherwise.

A certified professional in two wholly separate fields is a pretty cool place to be. Lots of work ahead though! 2009 is going to be a tough year - but very rewarding, I am sure.

So, honey, I'll be home for Christmas this year!