Old 12-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Clutch Cargo
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2007

I agree with all of the above, but there's more to consider about flying up here than just the flying. As an instructor you won't make much(nothing new there), not enough to support a family on. Your spouse will have to work also.
You should also consider the fact, which can be considerable, of length of time away from your family. Most bush schedules are 2 weeks on 2 off or 20 days on 10 off.
I'm not trying to dissuade you in any way but I believe the more you know about the lifestyle up here the more you can prepare your family for it.
As some of the previous posters have already said, do your homework on prospective employers, many are good, but the bottom line is they are still in business to make a profit.
If you can afford it, bring your family up for a look see, preferably in the winter and not just to Anchorage. Alaska is an easy sell in the summertime.
There will always be airplanes to fly up here, so if it doesn't happen right away don't give up. Whatever you decide, I wish you and your family well.