View Single Post
Old 12-06-2008, 10:00 PM
embflieger
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Default RJ flying or Widebody flying?

I've noticed that there are a lot of mainline widebody retirees on this board that have subsequently gone back to flying, frequently on contract rjs. Given the choice, which is generally better? I ask this because I am fortunate enough to have both doors open at the moment. On one hand, there's a cool, enormous aircraft, but I'm really over that. It's also 12-15 hour legs and the ensuing boredom. On the other hand, there's an airplane I've got a lot of time in, and I'd likely get to fly it all over the world (albeit in places I might not want to vacation). The pay is actually better on the rj as captain than fo on the widebody (for the first several years even). On the heavy, I'd have a little more time off, with overnights in many countries. On the rj, I'd be gone for 6 weeks at a time, but in one or two countries at a time, long enough to learn another language. And, God forbid, get to know people.

Maybe I'm an idiot for not foaming at the mouth at the chance to fly a heavy, and maybe an A380 one day, but I don't ever want to dread going to work another transpacific flight. I knew a lot of mainline guys at my previous carrier that flew the 777 or 747, but bid out of it after a few years ("It's too damn big, goes too damn far, messes up my body clock, and I don't wanna contend with that many gossiping flight attendants." Ver batim quote). Thanks for any insight.