View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 10:41 PM
KC10 FATboy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Legacy FO

Originally Posted by HanlonAir1986 View Post
I was contacted by reserve unit to fly the C130. Im currently a First Officer on a cRJ for a regional airline. The setup is an interview date coming soon with boards in June and leaving in December for OTS and UPT. Some generic questions probably shouldnt be asked but i dont want to blow it over not asking.
Suit and tie?
Bring everything including letters of Ref?
What kind of Questions during the interview are going to be asked?

Any help is greatly appreciated as this is deffinately the next step in my goals... to follow suit as my great uncle did with a successful Military Pilot career as well as a Airline Career.
I just went through a board so I can give you some experience.

Suit and tie -- an interview suit. If in doubt what to wear, call and ask them. Absolutely NO AIRLINE UNIFORM.

I would bring all pertinent documents to the interview especially letters of recommendation. Again, it wouldn't hurt to call and ask the unit because they might request something you need (passport, birth certificate, selective service?) Who knows??? I didn't need anything, but I was a prior military guy and they had my entire military life before them.

You've already gone through an interview board. Think about the questions they asked you and apply them to this board.

Why do you want to serve in the military/USAF?
What is the USAF's mission?
Why our unit?
Why C-130s?
What do you bring to the fight?
Tell about yourself and how you got here?
What would you do if we hired you but into a ground only job ... no flying position?
What would you do if you suddenly were called up on orders to deploy for a year? Two years?
Are you a conscientious objector? (spelling)
Tell us about your best flying experience ... your worst.
Tell about your fitness ... do you work out?
What do you know about the military other than what you see in the movies?
Besides your flying experience, what would you bring to our unit?
Who is Doug Masters and Chappy?
Who wrote your letters or rec and what did they say about you?
How do you know the people who wrote your letters of recs?
Have you EVER used drugs?
How many days per month could you give to flying with our unit?
Have you ever had a problem maintaining currency?
Have you ever had a problem maintaining a class I physicsl?
Are you currently on any medical waivers?
Where do you currently live and how to you plan on getting to the unit's location?
As a pilot in the USAF, you are a leader/officer first, pilot second. Tell us about your prior leadership duties/experience.
UPT takes approx. 1 year to complete with another month or so of survival training. C-130 RTU will take another 4-5 months. Can you handle being on active duty orders for 1.5 years in order to become Mission Ready in the C-130?

That's all that I can think of. Perhaps someone else will have more.

-Fatty