View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 04:06 PM
Superpilot92
Underboob King

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Guppy Commander

Originally Posted by ranger3484 View Post
It seems so far removed to hear all the negative talk about the DC-9. I'm a new DAL MD88 driver. On selection day I had MD88, 737, 757, and 7ER all available when it came to me. I choose the MD88 for several reasons, primarily because I wanted the most junior platform. At the time everybody thought I was crazy and said I should have picked something else. Within weeks I started feeling like the "black sheep" of the industry.

That said, I wouldn't change things for anything. To each there own, but the type of flying we do is awesome. I think the longest flight I've been on was a little over 3 hours. Personally, I can't imagine being a cruise any longer than that. With the MD88 we have so many more layover destinations than larger equipment, which, to me, makes every trip different and more enjoyable.

Also, I really enjoy the peculiarities of the MD88. You really have to watch the thing. It doesn't always do what you want it to do which keeps you busy and on your toes. I imagine the DC-9 is very similar. I tell you, if/when the day comes that I can bid the DC-9FO I'll be there. The best shot for a junior guy to have any sort of relative seniority is generally in the most junior aircraft. Sure the dials up front may not look like the space shuttle (ie A320, 737) but chicks dig more buttons, gauges and switches. At least that's the story I'm going with.

About 30 from the bottom of 12,400 pilots and not complaining,

Regards,

Ranger
Great post and i agree. I was on the DC9 first and really enjoyed the flying and the trips. People talk down about the DC9 but it really is a blast to fly. I switched to the bus mainly for family reasons and honestly i miss flying the Diesel 9