View Single Post
Old 12-13-2008, 11:14 AM
prican1121
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2007

Originally Posted by mesasurvivor View Post
Guys...just write down the correct code that works in the Southwest system to help out the gate agent. They are not refusing you, they just dont know the vagaries of each code from each individual airline. PSA is a relatively small operator & the gate agents don't get a lot of experience in handling them. Help them out.

As far as talking with the Captain...on the 20 minute turns typical of Southwest, it is almost impossible for the gate agent to deplane 137+ people, handle wheelchairs, and board 137+ in the 20 minute time frame. Anything that you can do to make their job easier is a huge help. Having someone request the Captain is just another unneeded task during a very hectic turn.

The correct procedure now is to list by phone prior to the flight. Jumpseating Southwest crews are required to do it on our own airline. It just makes things go easier.

I think everyone can agree that Southwest has always gone out of its way to help jumpseaters (both on-line & off-line). Nothing has changed.

Long story short...help the gate agents get YOU what you need!
My response to being a courtsey was to show that I was not complaining that I could not or was denied a jumpseat on Southwest, but rather that because of the new system, I come up automatically denied in CASS, and may miss my opportunity to possibly be extended a professional courstey. I regularly help gate agents who are confused how to enter my employee number (b/c it is confusing) in a polite, non-arrogant, and non-condescending way.

I have jumpseated on Southwest numerous times and have never had a problem. I also highly respect the fact that when going up to introduce myself, quickly on a 20 min turn the Captain and crew were extremely nice and polite.