View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 12:11 AM
Thedude
Are we there yet??!!

Joined APC: Apr 2006

Originally Posted by alvrb211
Have you actually seen the syllabus???
Take a look at the 14 ATPL exams. They cover subjects like climatology and international ops. 700 hours study is the norm before taking the 14 exams. It is impossible to take all 14 at once due to the very high workload. Most split them up and take just 3 at a time. Most require to re-take 1 or more tests. The 2008 pass rate is 86%.
I thought we were talking about actual flying and not theory. Yes, the JAA-ATP test are quite difficult from what I understand but at the same time they are teaching antiquated stuff such as OMEGA. Remember OMEGA went OTS quite a few years ago. I still believe that alot of those exams are teaching pure theory and could easily be honed down to what is relavant.

Most of the JAA guys have never even flown single pilot other than what was required to get their intial certificates. If the new rule goes through, they will have to have a special certificate or theirs wil read "CREW ONLY".

Then take a look at the amount of CRM. Then take a look at what's involved with getting a type (including tighter PTS) and approx 5 months IOE before the sign off.
That is what happens when you hire guy that have only 250 hrs and have been pretty much flying supervised for nearly all of it. I have also heard stories here in the US about those low-timers getting 100+ of OE in that shiny new RJ. I don't know about the PTS, I was under the assumption that JAR ad FAA standards were about the same.

Compare that to Irwin Gleim's easy Commercial book, virtually no CRM, and a couple of 4 day "domestic" trips in a user friendly rj not equiped for overwater ops.
Have you ever flown in Europe? Its almost the same as the US, only the accents are different and you have to watch the transition levels. If you are flying intra-Europe, that could be considered domestic ops.

Oooo, overwater ops. Just through in a lfe raft and a HF radio and you good to go. I don't know why people make such a big deal about over water ops. ie. the Atlantic and Pacific crossings. (The training I had was pretty ****ty and I learned by doing it) Really only 3 things you have to know. How to fill out a plotting chart, how to make proper position reports and the most important, what do to in-case of an emergency.

I have spent the last three and a half yrs flying a wide-body around the world and I tell you the learning curve is not that steep, its just different.