View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 05:50 PM
tflyer70
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: Captain, Lear 31A, 35A

Originally Posted by flyboyjake View Post
given that a rating is defined in 1.1 as a statement that, as a part of a certificate, sets forth special conditions, privileges, or limitations. I am wondering if the new SIC type would constitute as an allowance that the holder is now "rated" in that aircraft, and could now log PIC if manipulating the controls. Id love to hear a logical thought on this
The SIC type rating does not mean jack $h!! Its an ICAO item outlined in 14 CFR 61.55 b(7) There is no practical test required for the issuance of the “SIC Privileges Only” pilot type rating because it is not required while operating within the US.

given that a rating is defined in 1.1 as a statement that, as a part of a certificate, sets forth special conditions, privileges, or limitations. I am wondering if the new SIC type would constitute as an allowance that the holder is now "rated" in that aircraft, and could now log PIC if manipulating the controls. Id love to hear a logical thought on this

From section (e) of 61.55
(7) There is no practical test required for the issuance of the “SIC Privileges Only” pilot type rating.

But like one said, do what you want---it all comes down to the interview. If you have an SIC type rating and are logging PIC, then by all means use your "I dont see any requirement to have a PIC rating...." and see where it goes from there. You may win them over, you may not. But I would bet my bottom dollar that interview would not last long thereafter.

You also would be setting your self up for a real nut buster of embarrassment by having them show you your (or in this case-lack thereof) your FAR 135.293 form. That waiver for them to access your PRIA records (which Im certain) people sign during the application process will show them what flight checks you have, or have not taken. If you cannot produce a valid 135.293 which is the PIC Instrument proficiency check, then it might be difficult to explain why you were logging PIC time without being qualified. And yes, this form lets you know if you are or are not QUALIFIED.