View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 04:01 PM
Nevets
Banned

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: EMB 145 CPT

Originally Posted by kycycles View Post
if you dont like what colgan is doing to you than quit. thats what i did. but wait...most of you cant. you better not ***** to much. you should be glad that you have a job. look at the auto makers. the unions are shutting them down. what good does better pay and benefits do if it ends up shutting your employer down. there are more effective ways to handle management. the unions are not the way to go. despite the crappy times and colgan, they have managed to keep everyone on board during difficult times. you bring the unions in and that will change.
If people cannot quit like you, than why not let them improve their working conditions? What other ways are more effective to handle management? What more effective way to handle management than with the leverage of the RLA behind you rather than a powerless Colgan Pilot Group association? And if such a powerless organization was so effective, why haven't working conditions improved since the last union drive?

Also, if they needed to furlough people to remain viable, I don't think the Colgan management would have been ignorant enough not to do that.

you are right..poor management allowed the unions to force crazy wages, twice the competition in fact. because they were afraid....its called extortion.
everyone that got hired on at colgan knew what the pay was going to be, why are you complaining now? like i said, any job is better than no job...keep that in mind. these jobs do not belong to you, they belong to colgan. if you do not like it then leave. the industry will dictate the pay and the standards. find another career if you dont like it. thats what i did. when did the people start thinking that they can control the employer. keep this up and the there will be foreign competition in here taking over the airlines just like they are the auto industry. there was a time and place for the unions, and now is not the time. they have overstayed their welcome and they are playing a major part in the failure of the auto industry, and many other industries as well(the steel industy as an example) this is a global economy, and america will loose the fight if the unions are involved. there are other ways to get what you want...the unions are not it.
Has it occurred to you that maybe some of the complaining is not due entirely because of pay? Anyways, anyone that got hired at Colgan knew that unionizing was a possibility.

Why do you put people down for not having the ability to quit, as you did, and therefore just wanting to improve their quality of life?

Also, competition from foreign airlines is unlikely. Especially with the results of the last election. Ands cabotage is not a reality because of ALPA rather than despite it as you would like people to think.

And even with the pilots unionized, industry will still dictate what they will be paid. The difference is that Colgan would have to bargain collectively.

If there ever was a time for a union at Colgan, now is the time. The Colgan mangement had the opportunity to show its good faith after the last union drive. There was another way without a union and Colgan management seemed to have squandered that since the last drive.

one of the unions main goals is to force higher pay....this will break management and the company. people will loose jobs as a result. maybe not you personally, but someone.
if colgan cannot make money, they will fail. the employee does not have a right to every dime colgan makes
The union cannot force management to do anything. Employees can only organize to compell the mangament to bargain for a collective agreement of the represented employees. If Colgan cannot make money, they will fail regardless of whether the pilots are unionized or not. And last time I checked, ALPA never asks for every dime their respective managements make.

5000 of your own money? if you did nothing wrong, you should be able to recover that in litigation. you will have to do the dance with or without the union.

you probably will win the vote, but i am telling you now, the employees will be the loser
Five thousand dollars is probably not enough for any time of litigation. But regardless, its not guaranteed you would recover that even if you prevailed. If you do the dance, the union would just make sure that management follows the rules that were negotiated in applying discipline. That is what ALPA does in these cases. If makes sure that you actually did what you are accused of and if you are in fact guilty, that discipline is assesed fairly and per the rules. Both management and employees win in these situations because everyone knows the rules and it takes out any subjectiveness, which coincedentally, reduces the probaility of any litigation.

besides, who says the employer should be responsible for health care. that is a benifit not a right. i have been paying for my own health care for years now. works fine for me.

the era of entitlements is coming to an end. people need to be responsible for themselves. they need to realize that anything a company offers is a benefit not a right. be grateful cause if you push this to far, you will be on the street in tough times.
Anything a company offers you is in return for your services. They don't give you anything. You earn your pay AND benefits. Its been common to refer to them as your total compensation package. If the company didn't find it beneficial to offer health benefits, they would have gotten rid of them yesterday.

again...i will say there are other ways to get what you want. unions will harm colgan jobs. once they are in it is extremely difficult to get rid of them.

be clear....i am a current pilot, former clogan pilot. despite my problems with colgan, i would not ever vote for a union. especially in these difficult economic times.

if you dont like your job then leave!!!!!!
What is this other ways you keep talking about?

Despite your problems with Colgan, you would net "ever" vote for a union? Even if you couldn't quit as you've said that the current Colgan pilots can't? So if you had as these problems with Colgan but couldn't quit, what would make you vote for a union?

in my experience... the people that wanted unions the most were the most incompetent. it always seems that the people that were always screwing up were the ones that were made examples of for the union argument.

colgan has internal representation that has done a very good job in the past, in my opinion. that is a perfect example of how things can be accomplished without unions. dont let the misperception of big money and power that the unions say they have fool you. it is an intimidation factor and extortion. it is not healthy for business.
Why are you stereotyping. I cannot beleive that your statement is not anything but anecdotal at best. Of course there will always be that small percentage of people that are trouble. Just like we have a percentage of criminals in our society. But even criminals have due process. You don't even want to give that to Colgan pilots, due process?

Internal representation? Is this a lawyer paid by Colgan management to represent you in an anlawful termination case? Who is this internal represantion feduciary responsibility to? Who ultimately pays for his services? Even a criminal has the ability for his own defense attorney but yet you don't want to give that oppurtonity to Colgan pilots paid for at ALPA's expense? How is internal representation healthy for business?

it would be a poor decision on colgans part to let the unions in.
i am in this conversation because i am looking out for my fellow pilot, as i am still associated with many people that work there.
again...the unions priority is higher pay.... labor costs are the number one cost of doing business. this is a horrible economy. people are not flying, the market does not support higher pay for this.
Then it seems as though Colgan does have poor management. They had an opportunity to restore faith with their pilots after the last failed union drive. They have proven that Colgan pilots indeed do need a union.

The pay is just ONE aspect of what ALPA does. Sure its important but its not the end all be all of issues. It depends a lot on the particular property. Labor cost may or may not be the number one cost of doing business. ALPA would be able to see if that really is the case at Colgan. The point is that maybe the market does not support higher pay right now or maybe it does. ALPA, as your bargaining agent, would be able to answer this independently to decide for yourself if this was the case. Its like anyone else negotiating their pay at theri desk job when they first get hired. The boss and you negotiate pay and benefits for in exchange for your services. ALPA does the same thing but through a collective voice. Once there is an AGREEMENT, it is settled. In fact, Mesa just agreed that at their particular airline with current market conditions, they agreed to improve some rules and only give modest pay raises for the FOs. ALPA does not look to take every dime or run the airline out of business. That would be counter productive to its members.

Just curious, who do you work for now? Are they unionized?

nice one...

its called capitalism and supply and demand... the supply is great and the demand is low. when you are on the bad end of this it sucks, but when you are on the good end...life is great. right now there are a ton of pilots out there and everyone is doing what they can to try and make sure their job is secure. i personally do not blame anyone for that. however, in the long run, this is not a good thing for colgan and the people on the bottom will suffer first. and, if by chance, the company survives, everyone else will have to pick up the slack.

it is well known that colgan was hanging on by the skin of there teeth when the gas prices went through the roof, but yet no one was let go. this could have been a totally different outcome.

i will say it again. in these times...any job is better than no job

also, i have all the time in the world to post. i quit my job...remember
But with a contract, Colgan cannot just change work rules to suit them. Like I said, its not always about the pay. With rules in play that pilots know that management cannot change on a whim without a consequence, they will be better prepared for the down cycles. Every one knows that the bottom will suffer first if things turn ugly. But I would go as far as to say that most pilots prefer that than management deciding which pilots get furlough, downgraded, or even upgraded regardless of seniority. Its more about treating people fairly and without subjective decisions.

i have heard about that, but i do not know the particulars. and, without making assumptions, i think it would be best to reserve judgment until you know the facts.
FO's are not required to do the test or oversee the test, so i am going to go out on a limb and say there may be more to this case than you and i know.
we all know how gossip and rumor spreads. i am sure you played the game in kindergarten. where the teacher tells the student something and then they pass it on. by the time it gets to the last student, the saying is completely different.
i am not saying the fo is guilty or innocent of wrong doing. i am saying i do not know all the facts...just what i heard. this kind of thing is obviously not a common occurence, and there is always horror stories to be told. these are more often scare tactics then truth.

in my time with colgan, i have never known, or been a part of any type of infraction. i have called in sick without threat of termination. i have even turned down extensions without the threat of termination or a missed trip, even though it is clearly stated that they can do that. the common thought by some is you will be fired and it was simply not true in my case.
I think that a better point is what happens when you do have a bad day and inadvertently make a mistake. You could lose your job or certificate for making an honest mistake. ALPA is just an insurance policy in case that happens. Its like auto insurance. You buy it but you hope never to have to use it.

And as for as for extensions, if the common thought by some is that you will be fired, maybe it was management's attempt at scare tatics? Otherwise, why would it be common thought by some? And if it was a scare tactic by mangement, then you really do need a union.