View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 06:56 PM
bryris
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2008
Position: Hotel

Originally Posted by youneek28 View Post
Since this is the leaving the career forum, i'll ask. This industry will continue to go up and down so what is the plan for after it turns around and then turns around again, meaning its in the crapper again? Just wondering.
For me, this depends on many factors. Seniority is one of the first things to consider. Do you have seniority? For me, the answer was no. I had it, but so many were furloughed and downgraded, I lost it all. So for this downturn, it makes sense for me to to go back to school. If I hung it out, my seniority would climb VERY SLOWLY. As such, I could probably get off the train, go to school, then get back on in 2 years and still be about the same time distance from upgrading (already have the hours).

If I had some seniority, even on the FO side, then I "might" be more inclined to hang through the tough times.

I tell you though, I officially resigned from my regional a couple days ago and I haven't been so happy in a long time. I get to look forward to living a regular rooted life and sleeping in my own bed. I have a part time flight instructing job on the side for currency and pocket money. I flew 4 hours today with students. There is much dust on my flight instructor skills right now because I haven't really thought about the nuances of GA flying since I began working as an airline pilot.

Last edited by bryris; 12-16-2008 at 07:03 PM.