Old 08-09-2006, 09:25 PM
stickwiggler
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: Part 121, 135 & Military background

Originally Posted by D'Angelo
The real question is why??? The threat of a union is much more useful than a union itself. Plus you get to save 2% of your check every month. Think of all the dollas you will save. You can see at comair we got the sweetheart deal with union hostage taking and we still had to give back anyway. I say good for skywest guys for not having to waste money on dues every month. Plus a union is extremely difficult to get rid of once they are on property if they don't act properly. I predict within 10 years comair will begin a decertification drive if ALPA doesn't get its act together.
D'angelo,
I will try my very best to not sound like I'm lecturing, and I won't resort to name calling, but your attitude is really, really selfish. "the threat of a union... and we save 2%" Don't you realize what your saying? It's not the 1,600 bucks that come out of my check every year, it is the idea that we (union pilots, like comair) do the really hard work. When they went on strike they got everything from dirty looks, to beat up, to death threats by fellow workers. many of them lost homes, marriages, even their whole career to fight the good fight.
I can't tell you that you shouldn't be selfish, and that it is shallow and short sighted to think the way you do. I can tell you that you should have the brains to keep your mouth shut. What you just said is a slap in the face of the pilots who have sacrificed so much in the past to put you in the position to even entertain your thoughts.

IMHO, what you should be doing is your fair share in the struggle of pilots v management, but if not, at least thank those who do.