View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 12:06 PM
steak pilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: E120 Driver

A wage increase would be nice, but logicaly it would not work. With most of the Majors flirting with chapter 11 or just purely going out of business within the last 6-8 months, a wage increase would be a death sentence to any airline. Not to mention the economy sucks!! good luck bargaing out better pay and QOL.

The reason that flight schools recently started paying more is because they couldnt attract CFI's and keep them on while the airlines lowered their mins to a commercial certificate and a pulse. It's not supply and demand, its the LACK of supply and demand (no new students comin in the door, and all the CFI's jumping ship for the chance at tubine/jet time). With record fuel prices, flight schools had to charge exorbitant amounts for POS aircraft with +10,000 flight hours. There's no value there, and if people dont see the value then they wont buy.

Being a CFI is a great step towards what could once again be a good career. However, SE dual given or even ME dual given dosent match up to turbine time. Every one has to be their own judge and as pilots we ourselves are our most critical judge.

Being at a compnay that employs turbo-props I dont feel that our wages bring everybody down. 1900lux is right, the routes that we fly are not interfearing with majors. Infact I think they help. The flying that we do brings all of the passengers from the smaller communities that otherwise would not be able to get to a major airport to hop on UAL, SWA, NWA, ect. we DO NOT compeate with those airlines to go to Williston, ND, Sheriden, Wy, Riverton, WY or Sidney, MT.

Steak