View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Mitragorz
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: C402, on the side with the switches!
Default Question For You Photographers

I figure this is the appropriate place to ask.

What's the legality on advertising and selling prints with aircraft tail numbers showing? Taking the pictures and presenting them obviously isn't an issue, but what if you plan on making money off them? I imagine it'd be illegal if you needed to trespass onto airport or other private property to take it, but what if you're in a public place, like outside the perimeter fence?

I have the same question about people. Does it matter if they're the subject of the shot or if they're just in the shot? Say you take a shot of a specific person. In the park, at an airshow, wherever. Do you need a release from them to sell that photo? Does it matter if they're facing away or towards you?

What if you're taking photos of planes at an airshow, and you get 50 or so people in your shot around the subject of your photo; the plane. It'd be quite a hassle to track down those 50 people and get each one to sign a release.

I worked at East Hampton Airport for a good number of years, and whenever Access Hollywood (or similar) would come around, they'd have some of us sign image release forms. "Sure, go ahead, use my likeness wherever." Does that same process apply to any of the above scenarios regarding still photos? Is it more like a "as long as you're in a place where you have the right to be, you can take pictures of whoever / whatever you want" type of thing?

Last edited by Mitragorz; 12-18-2008 at 06:32 PM.