View Single Post
Old 12-20-2008, 07:19 PM
1900luxuryliner
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Beech 1900D

It hasn't snowed for a few days around here (DEN), so I don't think braking action would be anything less than good. The latest is that it veered off the side of the runway about 2000 feet down. It was around the Whiskey Charlie intersection on 34R, while on the takeoff roll. The news reported crosswinds of about 31 knots. Not sure if they were trying to make something of that, or not, but that doesn't seem significant, to me. No fatalities. Roughly three dozen were transported to a local hospital with injuries. Most were minor. No critical injuries, but a few with broken bones, flesh wounds, head wounds, neck injuries and back injuries. One passenger reported hearing a loud "explosion" from the right engine, followed by fire coming from around the right engine, followed by smoke in the cabin with the aircraft catching fire. The fire was put out almost immediately. The same passenger said that the aircraft lifted off shortly, then slammed back down, and then veered off the runway. The aircraft ended up in a drainage area, described as a "ravine" by an airport operations manager. Emergency exits were used to evacuate the aircraft. That's all I've heard for now.