Old 12-21-2008, 02:19 AM
youneek28
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by wags3539 View Post
I was wondering how long it actually took you to take it. I know the allow you 8 hours, but I was wondering if it actually takes that long. I was also wondering if you used the Air Traffic Control Career Prep (Green Book) to prepare for it. I picked that up a couple weeks ago to start studying for it, and I was wondering if those practice tests are pretty spot on as far as what to expect.
It took me bout 6 hours to complete the test. I took one break about ten minutes and about 30 minute lunch. Breaks and lunch are whenever you want to take them, at least at the site I took it. I also bought the green book and to be completely honest, it didn't prepare me as well as I thought it should have. To me the questions were much harder on the test and nothing divided by 60 to get feet per minute. You would think you could get it close and find the correct answer, wrong! A) 412 B) 413 C) 414 D) 415 kind of thing.

Letter factory is a really neat test but just pay close attention to the directions.

Scan test I also had a problem. Read the directions and already had an idea want to do. I kept crashing airplanes even though in the directions is said if aircraft F is landing at airport F you can fly them over the airport. You couldn't fly aircraft A directly over airport F but if its landing there you could. I tried it a few times and crashed everyone I did. Who knows! Don't make it neat either. Get them there in the most direct way you can and no need for that fancy base to final thing, land that thing fast. At the last minute slow them down.

Analogies were a little tricky as well. Some I could not find any relationship with at all. meaning, spelling, rhyming, nothing at all. That was at the end as well and I was ready to go. There is a personality questionnaire at very end.

Overall the test was a little harder than I thought I would be. I don't take test very well either so maybe that was the case. The "green" book will get your mind in the general area of where it needs to be, but know that the test is a little harder. I made a 77 which to me was very bad. Once I got that score I knew that I should start looking for some other career change. I applied to Public announcement 3 back in May I think and I did get an email about 3 weeks ago for my geo pref. I didn't send it in because of things have changed but I guess even with a crappy score you still can move through the process. I think me flying for the airlines might have helped out my overall score of going to the next step.

Hope it helps and good luck.