View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 06:32 AM
DAL4EVER
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: 88B - Loud Pipes Save Lives

Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I will have a sat phone, a personal locator beacon (apart from the plane's ELT), an immersion suit which I will wear up to the waist while flying, and a life raft. I intend to bring multiple water bottles, and a guy I talked to who has done this says to bring lots of candy bars and nuts (chewing evidently keeps a person awake better than sucking for example) and be ready to chuck that stuff in the immersion suit should the unthinkable occur.

Due to the increased possibility of icing over the northern route, some people not on this thread have suggested the southern route is better. This would mean 12 hours over 1500NM of water, as opposed to 7-8 hour legs with the northern route.

Someone else said there are some islands with airstrips west of the azores. What are the names of those islands? Are there instrument approaches? Whats the identifier for Lajes?

Yes I wish I could have company, experienced company with deicing fluid! But the plane is alreday 30% over gross.

Also does anyone have any advice on ICING. Another pilot who does this says with 3/4 inch I will be down to the top of the white arc, and with 1 1/4 inches down to 70 knots, in that case to descent to 2 or 3000 and melt it off, assuming temps above freezing at that altitude.

Does anyone know how to make position reports across the ocean? I heard every 5 degrees, or 2 hours.
I need more info. Thanks.
I think my first question for you would be if you have ever done a TATL crossing before? A lot of your questions suggest this would be your first time. I know at DAL as well as other carriers you must receive an ocean crossing line check consisting of several crossings before you are qualified for international ops. Position reports, theater differences, etc., are all gone over. And this is to become part of a crew flying turbine transport category equipment. You will be a crew of 1, flying in the winter in a single engine recip with no deice capability across the atlantic. I'd say step back a minute and start doing some risk analysis on yourself. Properly done, it could be the trip of a lifetime. I just am not sure I would do it solo before having done it with someone who is experienced in these ferry flights.