View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 07:25 AM
avanti
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2006

Thanks for all the replies. No, I have never done this before. I am a CFII MEI with 1200 hours TT. Yes, I am single, and 28 years old, and a woman! The only over-water I have done is between guam and saipan in a C172, and that's only a couple of hours.

Dont worry, I don't take offense to anything anyone is saying! I'm really interested to hear from all of you, especially people that have done this.

Yes, the plane has an approved ferry tank. It has a Export Certificate of Airworthiness, Radio Stn License, Flywire Registration, an FAA 337, and the Canadian form for flying a modified aircraft, whatever that is.

With the aux tank it has 175 gallons total of fuel. That's 17.5 hours of flight time, assuming 10 gallons per hour.

OK, so everyone I have talked to has said not to do this. Except for the people that have done it, and they say to do it, cautiously. One of those guys specifically told me a lot of old-timers will try to put you off it, tell you its impossible and not for the faint of heart. But that they are just trying to get the job for themselves.

I am not considering doing this for the money, but for the experience. If I want to be a ferry pilot and have no experience crossing the pond, then how the he## do I get that first bit of experience without doing something like this?? I have ferried within the US before, but every transatlantic flight job I apply for I get told sorry, not enough experience.

Yes, I know the plane is not approved into icing. But who out there has flown a 172 in icing and can tell me about it? I want to base my decision on facts, not just a bunch of people saying "Im not even going to tell you what its like because you shouldnt do it anyway."

I appreciate that opinion as well of course, but I would like to gather as much info from people who have done this as is possible. thanks.

BTW bubi352 I wanted to read that article (?) you sent but the link seems to be broken.