View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 08:09 AM
Cioran
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2008

I ferried along route A both directions in a King Air 200. I would have serious reservations about the Azores this time of year given possible cross wind issues. There are some back up fields to the west of Lajes (LPLA)--Jepps offers a pretty good transatlantic kit with info on the fields.

Even though we had great winds with the eastward trip, you need to have perfect weather enroute and in the Azores. We nearly got stuck an extra day in Lajes due to a localized system of intense thunderstorms.

Personally I didn't really like ferrying something as small as a King Air across the pond, twice. There isn't enough money in the world to do it in a C172. Some of these ferry operations are suspect. Last year a 50-something year old woman disappeared off the gulf of guinea on the way to Namibia...ferrying a small single engine plane at 7000 feet, at night, over the ocean....where you have some of the worst weather in the world by the way. Apparently the person in charge of this ferry operation wanted to avoid the "hassle" of overflight clearances.