View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 08:20 AM
xkuzme1
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2005
Default ...

Avanti

I salute you. You have got way bigger baIIs than I do. I have been in some really bad ice in a 172. They dont do as well as you think. When you start to accumulate ice it will continuously happen at an accelerated rate (and that is the wings) The prop ice is the scary part. When you look at the wings and there is ice, then you look at your windscreen and it is not really bad, it gives you a false security. Then comes a shutter from the engine as ONE prop slings the ice off, but you still have ice on the other one. You are going to thinK that you lost the engine. Then there is the ice that will build up on the spinner. It will build out like a big plate. You will loose 10-15 kts. Then when/if it lets loose hopefully it sneaks through the prop. That 40 pound piece of ice hitting the prop aint gonna do your engine any good.

The wings will be one of the last things to truly ice up and quit. The almost symmetrical rudder and elevator are sure to ice up first.

When you had the little formula for your 1/2 in of ice and the white arc. Well all those v-speed are based on Gross TOW not GTOW+30%.

If your gonna do it, then fine that is your decision. Like someone said before, you better go do some test runs in it before. Go find some ice and see how it does.

Best of luck.

X