Old 08-10-2006, 08:23 PM
ToiletDuck
Che Guevara

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Default Type ratings and when should someone get one

I have a couple questions on Type ratings because I've never had one. First of all do they expire or are they good for as long as you hold your certificates?

Secondly how are the ratings classified. For instance if you get typed in a B737-200 and then want to move up to a B727-300 does it require an entire new type rating or is it just a quick transition bit?

I was also wondering when someone should get one. I'm currently at 1200hrs and still working at it. We get the merlin back this next week and have tons of flights already scheduled so I'll start building my twin turbin time up fast. At what point it is worth getting a type for a job? Should someone even consider doing it? I keep looking on climbto350.com and it seems like everyone already wants someone with a type rating. I'm beginning to think that outside of CFI positions that site isn't really worth much. I hear of jobs from word of mouth that guys have done that seem much better. Or atleast better odds of getting.

Does the actual type rating make me more competitive for someone like Southwest or another airline?

Thanks
Duck