View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Kilgore Trout
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: Livin' the dream

I've used an Icom AC-22 as my primary (only) radio in a 1949 PA-11 (no electrical) for a number of years. Works great for Alaska. Have also used it in conjunction with a Garmin GPS to get back and forth from Juneau to Florida, and Montana in the Cub. Hooked up to a small whip antenae at the Cub's upper left wing root it works great. Have received and transmitted to stations in flatland at distances of 20 miles at 1500 AGL. Using a headset adapter and a PTT switch velcroed to the stick in there too.
Not sure of the ranges it would provide using only the supplied antenae, but I'd definately recommend the headset adapter for it as it's pretty hard to hear over cabin noise and to make clear transmissions when just trying to use it by holding it in front of your face. Headset adapter also keeps your hands freer.
Flying the Cub with no transponder, so avoiding heavy duty airspace, but never had any complaints from towers anywhere in US or Canada about transmission quality. Pick up ATIS fine at the same ranges out you'd be listening in any GA aircraft.
Never messed with the Icom's VOR capabilities, prefering the GPS as it's much easier for putting around, but you knew that.

Using the plug in wall charger for the battery pack works great too. Overnight charge lasts all day for days with light to medium transmitting. Carry a spare battery pack that uses AA batteries too for my backup.

In my experience the Icom AC-22 is great. Also carried it in my personal kit when flying the Beaver or Cessnas for hire in case we ever ended up somewhere inconvenient and were not able to use the airplane's radios. Put it in two ziploc bags when carrying it like that as it's pretty wet around Juneau.

As far as legality for owning and using it on the ground- never really thought about it. Never used it to transmit outside a plane, but would often turn it on during crummy days to keep an ear on the ATIS while waiting for improvement. Also handy on Special VFR days when you're in a floatplane waiting to depart Juneau and want to listen to flow without running down the Beaver's battery at the dock.

Try e-bay for a used one, also an outfit I used called American Avionics out of Washington was helpful with external antenae recs. I think they sometimes have used ones around, and handheld Garmin GPS's for aviation use. You can find the Icom manuals online if you want to read more about their specs, or a used model does not include the manual.

As far as having a backup radio in your plane- in my opinion a good idea, sure A/C radios are pretty robust, but usually it's an alternator problem that will mess with you first. Also nice if you're going to be flying over a lot of sparse country and end up in an inconvenient spot on terra firma, want to make sure your ELT works, are outside of cell phone range, and want to be able to talk to other AC looking for you or talk to high altitude traffic you hear rumbling way overhead.

Have attached a photo so you can see how the Icom is mounted, and where the Garmin GPS goes on top of the panel (the empty bracket would hold the little Garmin).
Cheers and good flying,