View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 12:31 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: A330/A340 Capt

Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
What is the Airbus fleet (I presume you start on the A330 and then add the A340 designation after a set time period with A380 a long time from starting) like in terms of layovers and fun destinations?

I am not trying to be flip, I just know that I would probably want to see the US here and there if I qualified (not yet) and someday made the move to Dubai. Are the Airbus pilots given a pretty good selection of destinations/layovers or are you spending a lot of your time in potentially "hostile" and less enjoyable environs (i.e., Pakistan, India, Iran, Libya, etc.)? No flame here - just curious.
As far as the schedule goes:
The 330 does not have a lot of overnights, specially compared to the 777. We do not overnight anywhere in Pakistan, Iran and only Kalkotta in India. It does get better once you get to the 340 but it does not ever get as good as the 777. Lots of India turns during the night. Good overnights include Seychelles, Milan, London, Venice, Nice and Hong Kong to name a few.
On the other side if you want to fly a widebody and be home almost every "night" EK's 330 "roster" is the way to go.
Hope it helps.