Gets Weekends Off
seafeye
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Dec 2007
  • Position
    Hot tub for now
I can see both sides of the issue. In a way it would be nice to know that if we didn't pick up open time that T.K. would bring back the furloughes. But we are kidding ourselves if we think that we have any influence on what they do in Dayton. When they are good and ready they will bring the pilots back. But i think it is great when management has to pay 1.5 times for open time, and we get a minimum day pay. So for a quick out and back captains can make an extra $400, F/O's $200. And the company still has to pay the reserves. If people didn't pick up open time a pilot can't get the 1.5times pay and a reserve will be called out.
If you are a reserve pilot first or second year at PSA you won't break the $20k barrier. Per Diem will be almost nothing, and if you commute and have a crash pad/car or hotel to pay for you are really hurting. What's wrong with someone trying to make some cash? Not like they handed out the furlough notices. How about people trying to get their 1000hrs PIC so when the real airlines start hiring they are ready for it? Flying 30-40hrs a month on reserve it will take 3 years to get that. Picking up 20hrs a month will drop it fast. Will you be doing the junior pilots a favor by picking up open time so you can move on and leave an empty slot?
Lastly the lines at PSA are 80-90hrs. Why is that OK? If people really wanted the F/O's back on property then they will call in sick to reduce the monthly hours to a reasonable 75hrs. One sick call per two months. The end of the month to the beginning of the next. But that would never happen cause we have a "Do as i say not as i do" attitude.