View Single Post
Old 12-27-2008, 02:36 PM
Mason32
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Reclined

Originally Posted by PIPErdrvr View Post
I DO NOT understand you. I mean, is any company worthy to have you as an employee. You bash Mesa for having terrible work rules then you turn around and bash Eagle because they have desirable work rules but the upgrade is long. Maybe ppl won't leave there b/c they actually enjoy what they do and who they do it for. If I'm correct, you work at Eagle. But either way, you shouldn't maintain this double standard. There are plenty of reasons to come to a company like Eagle or any other regional with decent work rules. Why is there anything wrong with wanting to fly a 37/50/70 seat jet for a career. I mean that's not my calling or my desire, but who's to blame the guy who has always wanted to do just that. Sounds like you will never be content wherever you are, so try not to rub that attitude off on those of us who still enjoy the job!!!
What double standard? I think I was very clear that ALL regionals are sweat shops in one way or another...

Ok, that's what I was aksing.... why are people choosing Eagle?

Nothing wrong with making a regional your career choice, since for most it will be the only career track available since legacy's are shrinking faster than the arctic ice, and regionals keep getting larger planes, and forcing more mainline flying into regional schedules... so, the odds of somebody today doing the CFI to Charter/Regional and then to a Major are pretty slim. People better be taking these jobs fully aware that they will be doing a long period of time flying regional equipment at regional pay, under regional work rules... and the reality of that has not yet hit the new pilots or the ones just trying to break their way in... So, if I'm a bit harsh in trying to get them to see reality, then so be it. If it saves even one young kid from making a mistake and wasting years of his/her life then I've done a good thing. Will there always be a few who do make the jump from regional to major, sure there will... but the days of doing 2-3 at a regional then going to a major are long long long gone.... yet our regional managements all still think they can get away with crappy wages and work rules in exchange for the valuable part 121 flight time to go to a major in a few years.... they play on this idea and hope and get young/new pilots willing to live under those conditions in the false hope (in most cases) of them going to a major. The reality is that by the time they upgrade at places like Eagle and are making good money, they will not be willing to leave to go to a major for a 60k pay cut to start all over again at the bottom of another seniority list....

So, my original question was.... for the people "in the pool" why Eagle and not someplace that you can upgrade ina reasonable time, get the PIC time while you're still less than 3-6 years into the company, so that you will be in a position to apply at a major when they resume hiring.....

oh, and as for the job; I love mine... well, I'll clarify that, I love everything on the other side of the hold short line. Everything on this side bites... but, looking into the neighbors yards I see theirs isn't any better.

Other than that; we are all afflicted with the dreaded disease... loving flying. Otherwise, none of us would ever put up with the crap that we do.

Last edited by Mason32; 12-27-2008 at 02:41 PM.