View Single Post
Old 12-29-2008, 08:08 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by captain152 View Post

First of all can ZED fares be purchased for non-family members if you're going to be traveling with them also on a ZED fare?
Generally no. Usually ZEDs are available for immediate family, and some ZED agreements include parents too. It depends on the agreement between the carriers. Does your company offer a domestic partnership...?

Secondly, I know that while in Europe things operate a little differently there remembering previous posts I have read (and could not find again). With a ZED fare would you already have a ticket and go straight to the gate through security, or would I have to stop at a Ticket counter (not sure what they call them over yonder) and get a pass through security there?
The correct way to do a ZED in any country is to start with the ticket counter. Overseas, I've always been treated like a paying pax (I always fly with good loads, so there's no question about getting a seat). It's also a good idea to list yourself if you can figure out how.

Thirdly, I know there is always a chance traveling standby that you won't make the flight, but what are the chances of getting bumped off with a ZEDl fare? What priority do you have versus other standby travel? Are we at the bottom of the list?
ZEDs usually have the lowest nonrev priority behind all company, code-share, and buddy passes. You will be ahead of offline jumpseaters (unless they bought a ZED too). I suspect priority among ZEDs is based on check-in time.

Fourthly, can ZED fares be purchased for both coach and first class?
You might be able to get an upgrade at the gate, but know that a number of foriegn airlines will not allow ZEDs (or even their own nonrevs) in first or biz class.

You're a US regional pilot, right? In order to maximize your odds (and comfort), try to fly on your own codeshare first...you will have higher priority. After that look at US airlines since they are often easier to deal with than foreign carriers, although the large european airlines should be OK too.

Also note that as a regional pilot you may have extra options...your company will have ZED agreements, but your codeshare major(s) will also have ZEDs, and may include you on that so be sure to check.

Many companies require advance purchase of ZEDs through the company travel office, but some majors will allow eligible travelers to buy them at any ticket counter. I can get a ZED for any airline from any DAL ticket counter.

Also look at multiple airlines...it might make sense to advance purchase 2-3 ZEDs on different airlines, especially on the way home. You can cash them in later if unused.

Don't forget your passport (and visas if you are going somewhere exotic). Also bring a power adapter if you need to use electronics overseas. Many newer laptop power supplies can handle euro-power, you just need a pig-tail that fits the socket. Internet cafes are ubiquitous and cheap in europe and asia.

I time my overseas travel for the off-season (mid JAN-mid FEB, or mid OCT-mid NOV). I've been spoiled...I never want to spend 10+ hours in economy class again