View Single Post
Old 12-29-2008, 01:14 PM
higney85
Property of Scheduling

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Bus driver

Originally Posted by heywood View Post
I would rather fly with a 300 hour college grad than the guy whohas a chip on his shoulder because he thinks he payed his duessomewhere else. The college kids have been taught critical thinkingskills and don't bring a bunch of the bad habbits to the flight deck.The guys that learned at Jo-Bobs flight school have the habbits of anon-standard program and what ever MA and Pa kettle felt like teachingthem.
When it comes time for a non-standard procedure in the aircraftexperience within that aircraft is the only thing that matters. If youwere hired at 300 hours, by the time you can upgrade you will have atleast 1200 hours to experience the complications of that plane. If youwere hired with 3000 hours of sitting in the right seat of some D-bagsCL65 what good are you in a SF340.
I respectfully disagree. I came from one of the "aviation colleges" and started flying a jet at 1000/250 AFTER instructing for a year or so while in college. The "cooperate to graduate" mentality works whether you are doing an aviation degree or training part 61 at a random FBO. I did my Private and Instrument at a random FBO and the instructors and personal motivation made the difference between the FBO and aviation college knowledge base. I would gladly take a guy with 6 months on the line with previous instructing experience vs. someone with 1200 hours in the plane that started with 250 hours. I can tell the difference between a military guy, civilian who paid "dues" instructing, and someone who was a 250 hour guy or gulfstreamer. The decision making and knowledge base are far better to the guys with more "base" experience that instructed or were trained in the military. As far as ERAU and UND and such, they wear the lanyards, but it doesn't make them smarter or fly better.