View Single Post
Old 08-12-2006, 10:51 AM
bustinmins
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: A Big One
Default What I did.

I was in a similar situation years ago.

The airline I was working for had just lost a codeshare agreement that totalled about 35% of the company. I had been an FO for 1.4 years at that point. I was looking at a "possible" upgrade at 1.5 years if everything stayed on track. There was a lot of questions running in the rumor mill. Would we do this or that??? etc. I spoke to a lot of senior guys and they all said, hang on and ride. If you're that close to upgrade, leaving could be a mistake. If you're a new hire, then bail. However, you're close to captain - then stay.

Let's look at a few things. First, your quality of life sounds very good! I've been at my carrier for quite a long time and I don't have the quality of life that you have right now. If you think the grass is greener at Skywest, I have a word for you: "Whipsaw". They should get ready for it because all indications are that it will raise it's ugly head soon.

If you have quality of life but you don't have security - welcome to the passenger business. Personally, if I were you, I'd tough it out unless it looks like the entire ship is sinking. With the amount of people bailing, you may be able to sneak into a Captain slot faster than you think. Then you may be able to bail out of the regionals faster than those who jumped ship early. Until you're sure that your airline is going into the drink, I'd maximize my time with my loved ones, save your pennies, get a hobby, buy your time and remember to look for something good each day. That gets harder and harder to do the more brow beaten you become. Don't use phrases like: "I'll be happy when...." BE HAPPY NOW! You're flying a jet and logging some serious time! Keep it up! It all goes in the book. Get the upgrade and you'll be happy you did.

I'm the poster child for this line of thinking because years ago, I chose to stay at my regional. Life sincerely sucked there for some time. It was the people that I worked with that made the job doable. I looked for the fun stuff - lived for my off days and logged as much PIC TURB as I could get.

I just passed 9 years and 9 months with my regional and I just accepted a job with a "little" freight carrier out of Memphis. Out of the 9 years and 9 months I was with my regional, I was captain all but a year and a half. They upgraded on schedule, I was junior as hell but you know - I have 4000 PIC TURB in my book while those that bailed may not have as much. I think that makes a trememdous difference in the way you mature as a pilot.

Stay the course as long as you can handle it and soon my friend, your poverty endurance will pay huge dividends if you just don't quit.

Peace,

JD