View Single Post
Old 08-12-2006, 08:07 PM
flystraightin
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Grounded...HS student

Hey Elliot,

I swear we have the exactly same situation, only backwards. I'll explain.

I'm from Victoria, BC and just got back from vacation in Seattle, WA. I'm a about to go into senior year at my high school here. I play varsity hockey in Victoria and I'm also a avid flight simmer. I started working towards my PPL last year and have no regrets thus far. I also plan on attending UND next year to obtain my CPL and CFI. I'd like to return to either Victoria, Vancouver or Seattle to work a CFI and enjoy time building in the truely beautiful Pacific Northwest (well, I guess we'd call it Southern BC hehe). Last summer I started a summer job at Victoria International (YYJ). I was lucky enough to get on as the yougest ramp agent ever for Horizon at Victoria. This is my best advice. I hear our SEA station is looking for ramp agents. Why not try and apply for QX in Seattle? I've learned soooo much from Horizon. Everything from load coordination, which we use everyday, to getting up in that deicing bucket and learning to spray (inside edge, outside edge etc.). During turns, you build great connections with the pilots. They are all very friendly.

About 50% of QX pilots came out of UND, which ultimately made up my mind. I was looking at UBC, UVic, UC-Long Beach, ASU etc. UND stood out from what I've heard from the pilots themselves. Even if you can't get hired by an airline, try a local FBO or part 141 school. Do some discovery/demo flights and see which school (and most importantly, instructors) fit your style and schedule. I would suggest starting on your PPL and working at the same place, if possible.

Also, if you don't mind Canada, the industry here is a bit different than south of the border. Our mins are rather high, but, instead, after those regionals, our majors are hiring like crazy! Air Canada is extremely short of 'bus pilots right now. There is no furlough here. I'm planning on doing my training in the states, as well as my first few flying jobs, then trying to get on with Air Canada or Westjet in Vancouver.

Also, don't think FS9 is such a great tool. In fact, it actually messed me up for my first few flights in a C152. Flight sim is good for airliner systems, and IFR gauge work, but nothing more. It can't help you in your beginning stages of flight or anything VFR for that matter.

Lastly, don't think too much about this at your age. I did the same thing as you, and the only regret would be not doing normal stuff, like partying and hanging out with friends. Last year I tried to fly every saturday morning and would go to bed early on friday nights, missing out on all the fun stuff. Enjoy Victoria, enjoy your vacation and don't start to worry about schools until this upcoming spring.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions, as I've just recently (still, actually) gone thru this whole school process.

Blue skies,

Connor