View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 12:00 PM
AJC1290
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2008

This seems like a good of a place as any to jump in. I am seeking a bit of advice and so far these forums have been great, but not specific to my situation. I am seeking advice regarding getting back into aviation. Here's my short resume:

-Navy helicopter pilot. Finished flight school with Commercial Instrument rating in fixed wing and rotary. About 1300 Total Hrs. Most of which is rotary (H-60). I loved flying helicopters and chose them for the great duty stations (San Diego and Hawaii). At the time I had zero interest in commercial aviation and was just looking to be a great officer and flying was secondary. (Kind of wish I went fixed wing now...)
-I left the cockpit in 2004 and became an Assistant Professor and Aviation Advisor at an ROTC unit. I also completed my MBA during this tour.
-I just got out of the Navy in 2007 and began a corporate career. I hate office life and miss the cockpit. However I have decent pay (1st year $90k) and unbelievably flexible schedule (work mostly from home and specific hours don't matter).
-I desire to get back into aviation and specifically fixed wing professional flying. Rotary is awesome in the military but not so much opportunity outside.

So I've been out of the cockpit for 4 years and wondering what opportunities exist:

1. At age 33 is an airline career reachable?
2. Are there any good part-time regional or other pilot jobs? (I could continue working at my company while building hours)
3. Should I become a CFII?
4. Should I not consider the airlines because everyone in this forum hate it?

Looking for the good, the bad, the honest, and the ugly

Any general thoughts and advice would be great...look forward to hearing from you.