Thread: Ageless Wisdom
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Lowtimer77
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: C-172

Originally Posted by jungle View Post
I am afraid you missed the point. We need to hold government to a reasonable standard of behavior. When 40 of 50 states are in the red and the Country is 10+ Trillion in the hole, there is an obvious failure to connect with economic reality.
I'm guessing you are happy with their performance?

As to your stereotypes, it is often the case that 90% give the other ten percent a bad reputation.

I didn't miss your point. It's true that our economy is horrible right now. Is that government's fault? Probably a little bit of yes and a little bit no. The last I checked, AIG, Bear Steans, Ford, GM, and Chrysler were not part of the government( although they might be shortly). All these companies made bad business moves that were their own fault. There are several important things to remember though--As much as we might hate the so-called bickering and partisanship that occurs in government, if our country as a whole were to lean either totally to the left or totally to the right, we would be in a horrible position--atleast IMHO. Secondly, with all due respect, in America WE vote for our representatives. Listen, I think it's crazy that enough citizens chose to vote for Arnold Schwarzeneger, but hey, they voted for him. So yes, we need to hold our government to a reasonable standard of behavior--and guys like Blagojevich( the corrupt Illinois governor) need to go--but in the end, it was citizens like you and I who put these people in power.

Politicians always take the blame, whether they deserve it or not. If the economy isn't better within a few months of Obama taking office, guess what? It's going to be HIS fault. I've never understood why the general public thinks that politics should be so easily accomplished. Like they should just all be able to meet, get along, and then pass a few laws to make everyone's lives feel like paradise.

As a last note, I don't intend to offend anyone with these comments. I think this is a great topic to debate.