View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 09:29 AM
FreightDawgyDog
Trust but Verify!!

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: MD11 CRA

Originally Posted by AFW_MD11 View Post
At my previous airline (AA), pilots "actually volunteered" to get furloughed in place of other, more junior, pilots - they called it Furlough Stand Instead.

The point is, what may seem ludicrous/crazy to one, might fit perfectly in another's plan and be the smartest path for them to take for themselves and their family -not to mention benefit someone else other than themselves.

I understand that chosing NOT to fly every day of the month, and NOT try to suck up all the DFT/VLT flying one can, and NOT to fly 0.89Mach everywhere you go, and NOT to taxi around at 30 knots, and NOT to jump up and pop the doors ASAP to get that "on time" in time on the ACARS, and NEVER calling in fatigued even though you have to have toothpicks to keep your eyelids open during that 0230am landing after a 7 hour flight - are ALL foreign concepts (evidently) to FDX pilots.

But, sometimes, even pilots "actually volunteer" to accept less pay for the good of someone else - RADICALS!!!
Are you comparing the AA pilots that participated in the Furlough Stand Instead program with those that bid the 777? Interesting take to say the least. I guess those that bid it during the practice bids before the New Years Eve FCIF were altruistic and clairvoyant. We need more guys with those skills on our NC!