View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 09:56 AM
AFW_MD11
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: MD11 FO, ANC

Originally Posted by FreightDawgyDog View Post
Are you comparing the AA pilots that participated in the Furlough Stand Instead program with those that bid the 777? Interesting take to say the least. I guess those that bid it during the practice bids before the New Years Eve FCIF were altruistic and clairvoyant. We need more guys with those skills on our NC!
No.

Just using them as an example.

The previous poster made reference to pilots who would "actually volunteer" to fly the 777 knowing it would be a big pay cut (most likely) - as if those pilots were lunatics or something for ever even conceiving to do something as radical (stupid) as that.

My point was that sometimes people (pilots) do things that seem nonsensical to others (like "actually volunteering" be FURLOUGHED when they wouldn't otherwise, or to bid the 777 now) - when it doesn't fit into the others' perception of the normal way of doing things - then the others critique their decisions without having the first clue about why the person chose to do it in the first place.

To a FDX pilot like the one in my example - "actually volunteering" to fly less and make less money is STUPID!! and he can't understand why anyone would ever "actually volunteer" to do something so stupid.

But, to the person who "actually volunteers" for a Stand Instead Furlough or to bid the 777 at FDX (knowing it will be a 50% to 100% pay cut from their current income) they probably have thought it through and pressed ahead believing it is the best thing for them to do (either for themselves, their family, or someone other than themselves) - maybe they have a much better deal lined up elsewhere and they need the time off from FDX to pursue it? who knows?

Just don't be so quick to judge others choices without gathering all the facts first.

I saw a friend's name on the Practice Bid #3 FO list and immediately wondered 'what the bleep?' - so, I simply called him and asked him 'what the bleep, over?' We talked about it, and now I understand and agree with his reasoning.

Since I've been at FDX - it seems like there's a lot of guys who've been here a while that have EVERYTHING all figured out - so they feel compelled to tell someone when they are screwing up or about to screw up - when, in fact, THEY are the ones who are clueless.

That's all I was getting at.