View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 01:06 PM
dckozak
done, gone skiing

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Rocking chair
Smile

Anthony,
Welcome to aviation!! Just by looking in the Internet and finding APC and posting your interests, your are on the way to learning the how and why of your future endeavor. There are lots of posts on this website with opinions and facts about the way at get into aviation and I would suggest you take the time to comb threw this website for information that would answer your questions.
Anthony your lucky in a couple of ways that many young people (and some not so young) today ain't. You know what you what to do and your smart enough to achieve it if you really put your mind to it. As an airline pilot who, like you, knew what he wanted at a young (your) age I can tell you that there are many ways to achieve your goals and may traps that could keep you from getting there. This will sound familiar (read: Mom and Dad) but hear is some advice that will hopefully get you to reach your goals.

1. Do well in school. (I think you got this one wired)
2. Stay out of trouble. Avoid drugs and smoking. Your health is one of the biggest assets and potential set backs to your career in aviation.
3. Do not let others sway you away from your dreams. Stay focused and remember there will be lots of others trying to achieve the same and not all would be above pushing you out of the way to get what you have/are trying for.
4. Work hard, listen to those who have your interests at heart, and don't be afraid to reevaluate your interests as you mature and see things differently.
Aviation is a dynamic industry and airline flying has changed and will continue to do so into the future. You may decide in 10 or 15 years that your talents would be better directed else where.

Good luck