View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 04:53 PM
labbats
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: A320

Originally Posted by NightIP View Post
I have to disagree with you a bit here. I certainly agree that turbine PIC is more highly valued than piston PIC, but turbine SIC? PIC is PIC any way you slice it, and while turbine SIC can give you good experience, you're simply not signing for the airplane. A large amount of PIC time looks great on a resume, even if it's in a piston aircraft. The type of operation (say, Part 135) can make a good deal of difference too.

Who would you rather hire?

- An applicant with 4000TT, including 3500 turbine SIC

or

- An applicant with 4000TT, 2500 Part 135 piston PIC, and 1000 turbine SIC

Personally? I think he should go to Flight Express. Not only will the pay be much better, the experience of single-pilot flying is second to none.
Good point. However, you aren't the one hiring. After 3 years at Flight Express you can get a job at a regional. After 3 years at Great Lakes (and making captain after 1.5 years) you can go anywhere.

I flew at Flight Express and while you'll get more time off, you'll actually have less of a life. It's hard to meet girls when you get off at 5am and have no real co-workers. While Great Lakes isn't a great job, it meets the requirements for moving on to bigger and better things and Denver is a great city filled with fun people and things to do.