Old 10-20-2005, 07:39 AM
FlyerJosh
Chief Jeppesen Updater

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Executive Transport Driver

Originally Posted by BoynamedSue
grand scheme are you sniffing glue? who cares if you haven't reached six figures--big deal. are you a senior captain flying a heavy jet (real heavy) internationally for a major airline?

top pay for a -9 fo: 61.00/hour. that's just sick.
No I haven't ever flown the heavy iron for an international carrier... the biggest thing that I've commanded is the CRJ, and that was enough airline experience for me.

I'm not saying that the paycut sucks (across all ends of the spectrum), I'm just saying that the junior guys are the ones that are going to feel the hurt more than the old farts flying heavy iron. If you do the math, the senior captain loses ~24% pay with a cut from $232.18-178.31. The junior Diesel-9 FO gets handed a ~45% paycut.

That's bull**** IMHO. I never did understand the whole airline attitude of bigger equipment, bigger paycheck. You're telling me that somehow the CA of a 747 has more responsibility that that of a A319? That's crap as far as I am concerned regardless of the size of the plane, each person has individual lives and millions of dollars of equipment in their care. In addition, should something unthinkable occur, the liability from either plane crashing is in the untold millions of dollars.

It's time to fix the payscales. Pay should be based on length of service, and should have some relative standard. I know, a perfect world... but then again, if they can do it at some successful companies, they should be able to do it industry wide.

All I can say is that I certainly enjoy flying outside of the union vs management airline environment.