View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 07:28 AM
BBflyer
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: CFI

Originally Posted by block30 View Post
...then why are so many relatives of professional pilots becoming professional pilots themselves?
As the son of a legacy pilot, I'll try to answer this. My dad always told me "its a great profession but terrible career" I was told to go to college major in anything but aviation, get a "real" job, use that to pay for flight training, have no debt/save money, then if you still want to do this by all means have a go. So I'm 26, a part time CFI with no debt and a good full time job, just saving up and waiting for things to turn around so I too can pursue this career.

Why? many of Skys points are dead on. When you're born into the lifestyle you really never know anything else. I want this lifestyle because I'd rather not be home all the time. My mom has even told my dad that when he retires he better find something else to do or else he'll drive her crazy always being around. Some relationships just work better that way I guess, but I can see how many wouldn't. Growing up I would say my dad made it to about half of my games. Not bad I think, any successful business man who travels frequently probably couldn't do much better and xmas was celebrated on the 26th twice if I recall. My dad has his own part time business also, as will I when I make the jump because I know thats the only way I can afford regional fo pay, and I realize that developing a skillset outside of aviation is critical to peace of mind. So I guess with proper education in this career and planning it still is a worth while shot for some to take and sons of aviation families are probably in the best position to understand that. FWIW I have a brother and sister who want no part so it works both ways. and yes the already established aviation network, as sky mentioned, is a good benefit