Thread: Dear CEO's
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 05:36 AM
Rather B Fishin
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008

New Know hit the nail on the head with his post. Our individual companies use the media to create a public perspective that favors them when needed. Let's use some of our 2% and do the same this time around. No, we can't IMMEDIATELY change the way we're paid, treated and respected by our companies, the public and the govermnent BUT we can start crafting an image and informing the public of what we really do up there on the pointy end of the spear and the EXTREME sacrifices we've endured.

Most of the flying public DON'T know we have lost our pensions, DON'T know we have taken 50% pay cuts, DON'T know that their First Officer is flying them around and doesn't even receive medical benefits for his first 6 months, DON'T know that 8 hours from the time they get to their destination, we're back at work.

We have some very smart people working for us (at least at ALPA) in terms of media relations and lobbyists. Let's get the message out. Let's put our CEO's collective salary and SEC stock options/bonuses out there for the public to see. It may be something so simple as: CEO Joe Smoe = 1.3 million a year, FO Joe Dirt 27,000 a year. Who do you want up front when things go wrong? Sr.VP Jane Doe = 500K a year in pension, CA Jane Doe = 30K PBGC pension a year. Should Jane really be worried about her pension while concentrating on flying this aircraft?

We as pilots also have to stop shooting ourselves in the foot. As a group goes, we're a pretty humble bunch (for the most part). Someone say's "nice landing", we say "ahh even a blind dog finds a bone once in awhile.." Why not start saying "Thanks, yeah it was pretty challenging up there today." Some one say's "look at this new 777 (or now 787) it looks pretty complicated." We say and I qoute the Discovery series on the 777 development "Nahh with this technology there's a button I push to t/o and another one I push for landing." Why not start saying "You are correct, thats why our most senior and experience pilots fly this airplane."

Let's stop selling ourselves short and diminishing the awesome responsiblity we possess. I don't know of any other profession that requires the training, education, skill and responsiblity that doesn't take credit for it and are not ashamed to say so. I'm writing my letter TODAY.