Old 01-19-2009, 05:41 AM
Dan64456
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Default FAA Color Vision Standards to change yet again within next 180 days

Got the following message from a Doctor that I talk to over on the AOPA forums:

"Dan, you should be aware that in the next 180 days FAA is going to revamp the acceptable volor vision tests and tighten it significantly. They are going to tighten the standards for operational waiver, as well, in response to the TLH 2002 727 accident which involved a high hour Ex Navy P3 skipper flying a Fed Ex 727 into the trees. He had passed the Farnsworth Lantern repeatedly in his navy days.

Whatever the rules are when you renew, they will be different. The intent of the FAA response to this accident is to tighten and make both the screening tests accepted and the waiver process tougher. And you can only use information from the preceeding 90 days.

Look for February's Twin and Turbine for my take on the situation."

Catch 22 is I passed the titmus test, and can pass the shorter version of the Ishihara test... I wanted to take the Medical Flight Test/OCVT just so I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore. I am a borderline normal color vision / mild deutranomoly apparently... But since I don't have "failed color vision" and the restrictions that come along with it on my medical then I can't get authorized to take the MFT/OCVT. I planned on going to ATP/finishing degree with UVU within the next few months. Should I wait 6 months to see what happens or should I not delay this any further? (As I have for 2 years b/c of this uncertainty.)

Anyone heard of this and/or have and details on it?

Not relevant but here was my take on the situation:

Read the accident report, and everything in it (aside from the doctors attacking the F/O's color vision) suggests that either there was MVFR near the runway, condensation on the PAPI lights (which were turned on only by keying the mic along with the runway lights and can take 30 minutes or more to burn off the condensation) and fatigue. Both of the other pilots report seeing the PAPI "Clear as day" and reporting that they appeared to be on glide path. Condensation can cause the lights on a PAPI to be indistinguishable... There were also low clouds and mist recorded on the weather report... No argument that the F/O was color-deficient, and that the FALANT may not be as reliable... but was this the cause of the accident? I think not. Hypoxia could have been a cause too since it can deteriorate ones vision at cabin altitudes as low as 5000 feet. He smoked a pack of cigarettes a day as well. Supposedly this can also affect red-green differentiation even in those with "normal" color vision.

For anyone that wants to read the report go to http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/2004/AAR0402.pdf and you will see exactly what I am talking about...

Also note this:

"During the post accident investigation, he admitted that he had gotten “help” and
used alternate strategies to “game” the FALANT in order to “pass” it."

No kidding...

So if they stop accepting the falant, they are basing it on someone that was a good navy pilot who happened to cheat and get help on the test. Simply unfair and unjust.

Last edited by Dan64456; 01-19-2009 at 06:14 AM.