View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 07:26 AM
siemprerojo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: Boeing 757 First Officer and Cessna 182H financier

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
How can most professions use the line "Do it, and any career for that matter, for the love of it not the money"? It is hard to say that garbage men love their job. What motivation does a plumber or electrician have?

Some people would like to assume that most others merely did not try all that hard and got stuck with hauling other peoples garbage. However, I think that most people go to work because they need money and though they may not love that they do for a living they love what the job does for their life.

In my case I loved flying but did not like what it did to my life. It is becoming increasingly difficult to find a profession that provides satisfaction, respect, lifestyle and income all in one package.

Skyhigh
Too bad. The electricians and plumbers I know are fourth generation and passing on their trade to their kids. I would assume if they didn't like their careers they wouldn't be passing on their trade to their offspring and encouraging them to go to college to be English majors.
Don't know anything about garbage men except their pick up my trash.
In my previous life, I worked on my family ranch and among other things shoveled a lot of sh** out of barns. Didn't mind it as it was great excercise. The chickens and pigs were grateful and I felt appreciated
NWA has a history of treating their employees like the stuff I used to shovel out of barns, but I don't let it affect me. I enjoy the job because I MAKE it enjoyable. I'm not going to let some suit in a office in Eagan or Atlanta ruin my life.
I hope more people will get into their careers because they like it, not because they have to.