View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 07:47 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default They Like their careers

Originally Posted by siemprerojo View Post
Too bad. The electricians and plumbers I know are fourth generation and passing on their trade to their kids. I would assume if they didn't like their careers they wouldn't be passing on their trade to their offspring and encouraging them to go to college to be English majors.
Don't know anything about garbage men except their pick up my trash.
In my previous life, I worked on my family ranch and among other things shoveled a lot of sh** out of barns. Didn't mind it as it was great excercise. The chickens and pigs were grateful and I felt appreciated
NWA has a history of treating their employees like the stuff I used to shovel out of barns, but I don't let it affect me. I enjoy the job because I MAKE it enjoyable. I'm not going to let some suit in a office in Eagan or Atlanta ruin my life.
I hope more people will get into their careers because they like it, not because they have to.
My point exactly. Plumbers, Electricians and garbage men "like their careers" and not the job. They did not grow up dreaming of crawling under houses and picking up other peoples trash at 4 in the morning. Pilots, fishing guides and ski instructors all expect to have fun at work and to make a living at it.

I believe that there is a difference between loving what you do while at work and loving what your career does for you. When people pursue careers that others do as a hobby then you are at a negotiating disadvantage since much of your compensation comes in the form of getting to have fun while at work.

SkyHigh