View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 08:53 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Military

[QUOTE=USMCFLYR;540888]
Seems to me that people with jobs like this love to work with their hands and enjoy the satisfaction of fixing or constructing something - sort of like mechanics or builders.

You should have tried the military Sky. Depending on the situation (of the person) you can acheive all of the above!

USMCFLYR
I work with plumbers and electricians and I can assure you that the average day is no fun for them. They are cold, wet, muddy and covered in spider webs by the end of the day. They are not having fun but are not totally miserable either. Over time they become accustomed to the job and the day flies by. They do it because it offers a good wage, a lifestyle that is in congress with most others and the promise of a better future.

I thought of joining the military and come from a long family history of Annapolis Graduates and the US Navy. I agree that it is possible to have a fun and satisfying career in the military but not without consequences. My relatives spent their lives on the sea while their home lives went on without them. From my perspective the military offers great pay, benefits and service to your country but all that comes at a huge price.

SkyHigh