View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 08:56 AM
A320fumes
Ben Salley

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Left

Originally Posted by LifeiNtheFAstLAne View Post
So no, there is no price paid for a type at CAL, but many of our peers here have had CAL pay for their 737 type and race over to Southwest when they've been hiring. No opinion on this - just a fact.
I've given telephone recommendations to SWA for several of my F/O's since last fall's furloughs. CAL lost over 10% of new-hires (2005-2008) even before furloughs last year. F/O pay is terrible, the contract is far below status quo, and the pilot group suffers from a deep inferiority complex because Lorenzo lingers in our Chief Pilot Offices. Unfortunately, there's really no place to leave CAL for right now. If I had less than 500 beneath me at CAL, I'd leave for Delta in a minute. I've got high hopes for a better contract, but truth be known, no CAL pilot hired before 2005 has ever had a contract on par with other major airlines, and thus the bar is set too low. CAL is a great company, but if you are looking to enjoy the respect, unity and lifestyle that is in line with other majors, this ain't the place for you.