View Single Post
Old 10-21-2005, 08:28 PM
Typhoonpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: tri current

Let me preface this answer with the statement that I don't advocate paying for your own ratings and/or jobs. That should be the responsibility of the employer. However, there are certain situations where it could be necessary or beneficial.

Blue 2's statement is basically correct. Even with a type rating, unless you have 500 hours PIC on type you will not be qualified for any contract jobs as a Captain. However, and this is the important part, without a type rating you will also not be qualified for some jobs overseas as an F.O. as many companies don't understand how you can't have a type rating and be flying the jet. Most foreign countries require a type rating for their First Officers as well.

What I would do if I were you is find out where you might like to work and what their requirements are in regards to type ratings. Airbus 320 jobs out there right now are Air Arabia, Tiger Airways, Vietnam Airlines, Jazeera, USA 3000, jetBlue, Air Deccan, Qatar, Gulf Air, Sri Lankan, as well as few start-ups in India and China. You may also be able to get on with A330/340 operators with experience in the 320. Those would be Emirates and Etihad.

With jetBlue and USA 3000 you wouldn't need to pay for the rating now. With some of the others you would and some you wouldn't.

Typhoonpilot