View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 07:27 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
Ok thanks for all the replys.
I'll first answer to a few of the comments.
1. I have 20/20 vision and hearing even being under the 747s!
Vision can, and often does change in your late teens/early 20's. If you make it to age 23 with 20/20 vision you are probably going to keep it. If you parents both have 20/20 distant vision your odds are good.

2. I was in CAP for a little bit, maybe like a year or so, but I quit because 1, the things they learned i had already learned myself, and 2, because I didn't really fancy the whole military aspect. So basically I wasn't getting anything out of it just a bunch of "Yes, Sir" and "No, Sir".
Organizations such as CAP and High School ROTC often get a little carried away with that kind of stuff. In modern US military aviation you will be working with motivated professionals in a competitive environment. Don't rule it out lightly because of what hollywood tells you...they have never actually been in the military.

3. I have flown before many times in the little Cessna's, so yes I know it's a little different than X-plane.
Aspiring pilots often talk about their flight simulator time...do yourself a favor and don't. Real pilots will think you are a dork.

4. My school is right next to Scottsdale Airport (The school use to own the airport) so I'm thinking of going down there and maybe getting a job?
Good idea, that's a great way to learn more about entry-level aviation.

6. I'm a European citizen. And now with the EU, I don't think there would be any trouble for me to live or work in Germany (Correct me if I'm wrong). Lufthansa also has a training center in Goodyear and I've been thinking for a while now to maybe go talk to them too.
EU citizenship would make you legal to work at Lufthansa, but the hiring realities may be much different...ie only the sons of senior Lufthansa captains need apply. Better reserach that, lots of euros on this web site pprune.org

7. I'd prefer not to do it through the military...it would take too long. Personally I'd like to take the fastest route.
There is no such thing as a fast route, but if you are going to work in the US the military would be the fastest and highest-paid route.

Would ASU or NAU be a good choice for a college? I've been told I could get a full-ride scholarship there or at least any other in-state colleges. Maybe not Harvard but that should be enough...
Any accredited college would be fine, get a 4-year degree in a non-aviation major (aero engineering would be OK).

Also, how does it work with the liscensing? In all cases, except military, do you have to get your liscence by yourself? That's more than $10,000 right there!
$40K-$80K. There is lots of info on these forums about flight training, please read up on it.

I don't want to be too picky as I know some things in life that just don't turn out the way you want them to. So I take it from what you guys are saying that:
1. You need good connections.
2. Airlines look for more than just aviation related stuff.
3. It takes a while to become a pilot. (Even for regional?)
All true. Under normal circumstances you can get a regional job within 2-4 years of starting your training.