Old 01-24-2009, 03:04 AM
DeadHead
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008

Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
I'm about to graduate with a degree in Professional Aviation. I realize that this was not the most cost effective path to choose, so please don't comment about that. At this point, I am thinking about staying at Purdue and pursuing a Masters in either Human Factors or Airline Management. Do you think this would benefit me in the long run? I figure I can stay in school for a couple more years and wait for the industry to turn around while building enough flight time to be competitive when hiring picks up. If anyone has received a similar degree or thought about doing it I would like to hear your opinions.
Bottom line, you can't go wrong with an extra degree. In the long run it keeps more career door opportunities open for you. I've know a lot of people who have drag at school, more degrees or part time, in order to stave off paying back student loans until they were in a better position career wise.

I got my degree in aviation, and at the end of the day when you are applying at most Major Airline Carriers, they like to see the pursuit of upper level education. The degree itself is only a part of the equation the rest of it comes down to your experience, background, and personality.

Good luck, and for what it's worth hiring should pick up in a few years. Once that healthy attrition rate is back, we will see movement once again.
Specifically our seniority list starts retiring guys in 2012 and picks up exponentially every year through 2025.