Thread: Color blindness

⌐ AV8OR WANNABE , 01-24-2009 10:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off
⌐ AV8OR WANNABE
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Mar 2006
Quote: Another twist just came to my attention. I called the FAA and asked for a copy of my SODA from the old days (1986). They sent me back a letter saying that since my SODA was for a 2nd Class that it was not valid for a 1st Class and they sent an authoirization letter for me to take the new test. Luckily for me - the AME I used for my recent 1st Class used a color vision vision test that I did pass - so of course there is no restriction on my medical. I only wanted a copy of the SODA in the event that in the future I might come across an AME with a test that I couldn't pass. Btw - I've been passing FALANTs for 20 years!

USMCFLYR
Wow, that reinforces what my former AME told me years ago which is always get a first class medical whether you need it or not; then let it turn into a class 2 if that's all you need (FO). He said IF I'd ever have any medical problems where a waiver or additional testing might be necessary it'd be easier to maintain the first class rather than to apply for a 'new' first class medical with the additional medical testing.

Not sure if he was correct or not (he probably just wanted the extra money a 1st class brought in... ) but I've always been getting first class no matter what...