Old 01-24-2009, 02:02 PM
PearlPilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: DHC-8 SIC

Right now I am doing the pay as you go thing at a local FBO. I don't want to even tell you how much I am spending because it's a heck of a lot. The FBO is very close to home and I am very satisfied so far, but the cost is just way too much. I have no complaints however, I am seriously considering to go elsewhere atleast after my Instrument rating. I am not sure how long it would take for me to go up to the CFI level because I log around 1.2-1.5 hours per week. Yes, going slow is a good thing because that way you have plenty of time to study and digest. Considering the PPL course, it takes some getting used to, so going slow at this point seems like a great deal to me. But, I am not sure if I want to go at this rate up until the CFI level. I am not sure how long it would take, it could be 3-5 years. To be honest, I am thinking of a place like Ari-Ben, but like everybody said, it does not make sense at this economy...But I have time, so that is just a thought. If the economy bounced back maybe I will consider. As far as how much it would cost? I think if you could keep it below 50K it would be a great deal. Sad to say that after I started flying, I have completely lost the value for money, so 50K is really not a big deal. All for love eh?