View Single Post
Old 08-21-2006, 06:59 AM
A320fumes
Ben Salley

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Left

Joseph:

FEDEX and CAL are 2 totally different jobs. The fed offers more $ and a lot more stability. If you have to ask, I'd say FedEx is a no brain-er. I don't however subscribe to the theory that pastures in MEM will always be greener. In fact, they've only been greener for the very recent past. I am very happy that FEDEX and other freight carriers have been able to maintain decent pay scales. If it hadn't been for them, I fear that us pax guys would have taken a bigger and longer lasting hit. The best advice I have to give is to find another way to supplement your income and pick what you'd love to be doing for your last decade of your career. I love flying pax and dread the thought of flying freight around the world throughout the night. But I've got very good supplemental income. I have a great respect for the professionals at the freight carriers, and don't want to offend anyone, but remember, those guys haven't gotten a pay "raise". They've maintained their pay scales. The current climate in this country tends to capitalize on the fear of terrorism but do very little to thwart it in this country. This has been very detrimental to our industry. On an aside, if anyone wants to question my patriotism for such a remark, I'll forward my GWOT and Air war medals to you. You should also consider globalization. I think open skies could be the 9/11 of the freight carriers. All things considered, freight is the best bet NOW. If you feel that lifestyle is palatable to you as it is to most. If I were entering the industry at this time, I'd choose freight. Luckily, I entered in the 90's. I've had my ass handed to me, but still love flying pax. This probably sounds crazy to all of the geniuses out there who knew that 9/11 was coming and freight would be the way to go, but it is true. Good luck and remember that it is a great thing to have choices.

Last edited by A320fumes; 08-21-2006 at 07:05 AM.