Old 01-26-2009, 08:32 AM
evilboy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: "if it's got wings, I can crash it".

Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
Is loving “it” enough? If not, what else is there?

Thats the question that has haunted me for some time. Is loving “it” enough? It has, over time, become more and more clear that this industry isn't in a recession bound to bounce back with time like the rest of the economy. Its not cyclical, its in a down ward spiral, It has changed forever.

It used to be that you could make a good living by most standards and have a reasonable to good quality of life with the airlines as a pilot or even a flight attendant.
You would never be “rich” but would live a decent life. But as we see it and have seen it for the past 10 years, those days are long gone. Now its shady seedy motels and first year pay at a regional for the 3rd time for most of us.

For someone who is been beating this horse for 5 to 7 years, its becoming harder and harder to persuade myself to continue down this path for the later and better years to come. Seems to me they wont be better if there will be there at all in the absence of a furlough or what might go along the lines of ATA, Aloha, or even Midwest.

Ya its true that we love the job. But I think the issue of “loving” what you do has and should always take backseat to security and quality of life outside of work first. What good is it that I “love” what I do but I cant be home for my kids and wife? or cant be there for their graduation or birthdays? And worst of all can’t justify my absence, if at all possible, with at least some financial security. I might as well be home and broke...

There used to be a pension, no more. There used to be QAL at least past the “paying your dues” years. The “paying your dues” are now every year even for the double digit seniority numbered guys. The quality of life they have is better then mine but I sure would expect more after so many years of service.

The pay... even if one stayed long enough to retire from the industry today, chances are the average mean income of their career ( total of income throughout the years of service divided by years of service) will come to a number that most likely is shocking and at best not very impressive. This is to leave you with nothing more then a few stories in the autumn of your years.

I find it hard to convince myself to go on doing it... and I dont buy the argument of “what else can I do?!”

First you have to decide you want out and then worry about what you will do next. If you need out, if you want out, there will be an out and most likely one that will surprise you.

What keeps you guys going, and I mean truly hopeful, not looking at false hope or through rose colored glasses?

Is loving “it” enough? If not, what else is there?
Keep in mind when you answer that, in this business:

Your experience means NOTHING
Your dedication means NOTHING
Even if your “Sully” the Hudson Savior you are NOTHING but a number that restarts every time the company can convince a bankruptcy judge they dont have enough money to repaint the planes.

Share you thoughts

Dont start a fight in the thread, at least not in the first few pages.

Thanks.

Man, you're getting too deep. Somebody take away that Kierkergard book he's reading.

I'd tell you my philosophy about most things in life. Jim Croce once said "if you dig it, do it. If you really dig it, do it twice". Just plain as that.
Don't let the bean counters and the crappy mgmt team take away from something you enjoy.