View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009, 11:10 AM
FlyJSH
Day puke

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Out.

Originally Posted by Ewfflyer View Post
*****Although there were 12 gallons of gas in the right tank, Cape Air personnel suspected the gas had transferred from the right tank overnight after the plane landed, Monville said. There were 275 pounds of gas in the left tank, he said.*****

Ok, I'm raising a huge BS flag. Sorry CapeAir, but I just don't buy it.

Originally Posted by F172Driver View Post
Hmm, a stuck valve? I dunno thats kinda odd. I have no idea how the fuel system on a 402 works but something doesn't sound right here. Of course I could be wrong but it'll be interesting to see the final report on this one.From the article, they make it sound like the pilot didn't even try to restart the engines. Im not so sure I believe that unless he was pretty low, but either way big props to the pilot for gliding it in.

I just hope no one in the media finds you two "experts."

First, let me say I have no 402 time, but have a good deal of 414 and 421 time. I believe they share many of the same systems.

My experience with the 400 series fuel selector valves is they leak like sieves. Sitting on a slightly sloped ramp could cause a 50 lb. imbalance in less than an hour. Add a malfunctioning valve, and 12 gallons could move very quickly.

The valves are connected to selectors via bell cranks, which are just as happy flexing as moving the valve if everything isn't well lubricated. On a couple occasions, I had fuel starved engines due to stuck valves. Get the plane on the ground, smear some grease on the linkage, and she's good as new.

Folks, its bad enough that the Jeraldo Riveras of the world are out to linch us pilots for ANY PERCEIVED misstep, but why are our "brethren" bringing the rope?

Originally Posted by check6 View Post
Proof that less experienced pilots can be "worth the money" as well. Not just the 30 year veterans.

Yeah, the Cape pilot ONLY had 25 years in Cessnas (according to the paper).